David Koma

I have to admit, David Koma hasn't been at the top of my list of designers previously, but this London Fashion Week he has completely won me over. Another graduate from Central Saint Martins, his AW12 collection combined sculptured silhouettes in shades of grey, black and white with hints of colour in a musky mulberry and electric blue, using textiles to create an interesting and wearable layered effect. His use of see through mesh really interests me, I have seen some examples of this textile being used already on the high street in shops such as H&M and American Apparel, and I own a vintage M&S version which I can literally wear with anything. It adds a sexiness to a simple dress, a little bit of peek-a-boo with some gorgeous underwear.
A big focus of the collection was on tailoring, which has interested me in the last few months. Koma uses some interesting techniques to create new styles of tailoring with a provocative, sexy edge. The layering in the outfits was impressive, using textiles like mesh, fur, suiting material and brocade, the collection looked slick walking down the catwalk in the famous fashion week location - Somerset House.
Peplums and collars seemed to be a focus in the collection, my favourite look combining both - a structured high collar attached to a sleeveless dress, with a volumised peplum covering a stunning mulberry coloured dress. The mixture of materials give the dress more of a textured appearance, and the belts over the bust and around the waist give the dress a sultry appeal.
All in all a beautiful and interesting collection by Koma, and here are the pictures to prove it.


























No comments:

Post a Comment