A Footprint in time...

I used to hate it when I was younger, I'd come home from school and the first thing my mum would ask is "what did you learn at school today?". My reply was almost always, "mum, I've been doing it all day, I just want to watch telly and NOT think about it." Recently it has been the opposite.

I've leant so much since being at university, I can't wait to ring my mum and tell her all about it. Today in my fashion and business management lecture we looked into the renowned outdoor clothing company Patagonia. I have to say, I am not a big fan of being outdoors unless I'm walking down King Street, however their website makes for a very interesting read.

How often when you go out shopping do you look at the label on a garment to find out where it was made? I know that before I started this course and started learning about ethical trading and globalisation, my answer would have definitely been never. It's awful to think that the thought never crossed my mind about the journey my clothing had made before it ended up in my wardrobe. The footprint chronicles are Patagonia's way of showing their consumer exactly how each of their products is made, and how far it has travelled. 

When launching the footprint chronicles you are asked to pick a product. It will then tell you where and how the cotton or other firbe is grown, where the garment is designed and where the spinning and manufacturing takes place. Every step of production is explained, and it really does make you think about where your clothing comes from and how much work goes into making it. I may have to buy a T-shirt.


Take a look!

2 comments:

  1. That´s great to know. I basically just look at the brand and the quality ans wasn´t much interested about it´s history. I´ve become a little aware lately though, when i read about brands that use child labor for cheap productions. Thanks for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Glee, I was the same, never thought about the origin of a garment!! I make sure I'm always thinking now! x

    ReplyDelete